The definition of an adult at risk for the purpose of this policy adults at risk who are over 18 years of age and includes:
• Are in residential accommodation of sheltered housing
• Receive domiciliary care of any form of healthcare
• Are detained in lawful custody
• Are under the supervision of the courts
• Receive welfare service of a prescribed description
• Receive payments under the Health & Social Care Act 2001
• Require assistance in the conduct of their own affairs.
The definition of abuse includes:
• situations of self-neglect or self-harm or where a learner discloses abuse or abuse is suspected.
For the purpose of this policy, we will adopt the following definition of abuse: ‘Abuse may consist of a single act or repeated acts. It may be physical, verbal or psychological. It may be an act of neglect or an omission to act or it may occur when a vulnerable person is persuaded into financial or sexual transactions to which he or she has not consented or cannot consent. Abuse can occur in any relationship and may result in significant harm to, or exploitation of, the person subject to it.’ (Department of Health 2000 No Secrets).